Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 100% Disk Usage? Is it a PROBLEM OR NOT?  (Read 7105 times)

MSI Notebook Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
100% Disk Usage? Is it a PROBLEM OR NOT?
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:40:02 AM »

===============================================

On June 29th, 2015, Microsoft released their new Operating System - Windows 10 to the world. Available by download and on sale online, this new Operating System is both familiar and a little challenging. Some says its beautiful, and some are still hugging the previous versions. Nevertheless time will come that we will left with no choice other than using the latest releases from Microsoft.

Today's users of Windows 10 Operating System bumps on to a strange and/or annoying 100% Disk Usage after buying a new notebook or desktop, and even updating from the previous versions. The question is, "Is it a PROBLEM or NOT?". Let's answer it here :)

"Why is my HDD running on a 100% even when I am doing nothing????????" - A similar question from thousands of users of Windows 10. After checking out several different system that had the  100%  disk usage problem I found out that each one ended up having a different cause so it is hard to say what the fix would be. But I can give you some ideas to help isolate the cause down.

If your Notebook or Desktop was bought with Operating System pre-installed out of the box:

If you are encountering 100% Disk on your newly bought desktop and notebook, this may caused by Windows Indexing. It helps searching by building a list of all of the files located on your system for faster queries. Essentially it is a small database. Windows will index the most common user file locations by default, which you can modify to your liking. Be careful with this feature however, the biggest mistake is adding large locations to the index, such as your entire disk. Actions like this will cause your disk to run at a 100% for most of the time and it may also cause very poor performance.Indexing may take time to finish, we know its a bit annoying but that's a MUST in using a Windows Operating System. But don't worry, IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Even when you are using older versions, your system had gone to Indexing too. Its just that Windows 10 indeed is a big drawer of files inside your Notebooks or Desktops. To help it finish indexing faster, you may try the following steps:

1. Use your notebook or desktop normally.

2. Connect to the internet as always as possible

3. Always do a proper shut down process

4. Always perform a clean boot process.

5. Always keep your Operating System Updated. (and your Drivers too) keep an eye to your Drivers because sometime, some of those are not included once you update with Windows Update

Days will come and you'll notice that annoying behavior vanishing :)

For those who encounters the same behavior who have been using Windows 10 for a long period of time:
         As I have said above, 100% Disk was caused by different problems, and it includes your hardware. If you are using Windows 10 for a long period of time and noticed that your Disk is running at 100%, you may try the following steps first:

1. Download the latest updates thru Windows Update.

2. Download the latest Drivers for your Device.

3. Perform a proper Shut Down process.

4. Perform a clean boot process.

5. Check your disk for any errors.

Run CHKDSK trough Command Prompt:

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt (Press the Windows + X button at the same time, then choose Command Prompt (Admin).

2. Type the following command, and replace the X with the drive letter you wish to scan: CHKDSK X:, we suggest you use CHKDSK X: /F, only then it can correct errors.

3. Hit the enter key, Command Prompt will now start CHKDSK.

Here's How to make your Windows stop indexing..

Open Properties of your System drive, usually C: and untick Indexing. Click O.K. If Windows asks you to ignore things, clickIgnore all.

Open Services.msc console and disable Windows Search. First stop the service.

This is my computer with indexing in action and I have zero CPU and disk activities shown in Task Manager:

If you have more than one drive/partition, pls untick search indexing in all of them. That you can do by intuition.

Leave your computer on by itself for some time. That eases off indexing job load on your system if some hidden indexing service is running to finish off the job.

If your complaint is continuous high cpu and disk usage, as I mentioned above,  indexing may not be the cause.

========== Disabling Cortana

to delete SearchUI.exe
a.k.a. Cortana

and here is how
follow the instructions in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv1hUew3hGE
also when i was changing the ownership i had to add "\users" at the end of the phrase.

so far cortana is gone, hope she wont return in the next update

And if those steps didn't solve your problem, you may be needing to reformat your device (All files will be lost) and/or replace the hardware where your windows is installed (It may be you HDD, or SSD).

In line with this, we must learn that troubleshooting will always starts from your software before thinking to unscrew and open your precious device :).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:23:27 PM by MSI Notebook Administrator »

richardgeosome_santos07

• View Profile
Re: 100% Disk Usage? Is it a PROBLEM OR NOT?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »

Up

vince_abes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »

Good source. :-)

julianoperario15

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:39:42 AM »

Up

jheraldsabroso24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:37:19 PM »

Nice. Thankyou

maharajahmoty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »

Thanks for the info..i thought my lappy has a problem..what a relief

christopher_ocbian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »

Very very nice info :)

wpunzal_05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »

Very helpful information...😉

ferds.tumaneng

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »

thaks for the info 👍

arwinismyname

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 10:24:13 AM »

Very imformative thank you

leo_condino

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »

:D ;)

Ronald

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »

thanks for always giving updates keep it up.

-J41RU5-

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 05:11:46 PM »

Up! Very informative. Thanks!

xdylan8313x

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »

since windows 10 comes out.. this 100% disk usage is a big problem in my devices... desktop system or laptop having this issues... its a little bit annoying but thanks for this guide... it works like a charm!!

johnpaulolvega

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »

Thanks for helping clarifying this.
Pages: [1] 2