Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Setting up the Solid State Drive + Hard Disk Drive (SSD + HDD) *Fresh Install  (Read 9513 times)

MSI Notebook Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Solid State Drives provide a boost when used in any PC/laptop. Though SSD's are quite expensive especially the higher capacity as compared to internal mechanical Hard Drives. The perfect combination would be an SSD paired with a HDD, as you get speedy performance coupled with more than enough space for your files.

Since SSD's are now getting mainstream and now these blazingly-fast drives are now more accessible than ever. So here are a few simple steps on how to properly utilize your new SSD, in combination with your existing slow 5400 RPM Hard Drives.

1.     Place the SSD as Primary boot drive via BIOS (Basic In Out System)

To access your PC/laptops BIOS, press F10 upon boot-up and it will open the screen information page regarding the internal information of the computer. Though BIOS menu options differ between laptop and motherboard manufacturer, see the manual it comes with and look for the BIOS part for more information.

2.     Get a fresh Windows Installer and start installing on the SSD.

Installation may be different since there are different methods, be it a DVD or a USB flash drive. Just follow the usual installation process.

Assuming that Windows is already installed and prepared on your SSD.

3.     Now prepare the Other drive and format it and set it as Drive D.

Heres another tip:

Search via google the the timethis.exe and download the application via Microsoft Website and start the installation.

During the installation process and change the directory from C:\Program Files (x86)\Resource Kit\ and change it to D:\Program Files (x86)\Resource Kit\.

Then check the D: Drive that you formatted and created initially and check the Folder Program Files (x86) and start the sideload installation of Programs and Applications.

For more information check the Youtube NCIX channel and Search the SSD boot drive and HDD and storage drive.

-J41RU5-

• View Profile

Magaling magaling! Mas mabilis talaga ang SSD kesa sa HDD kaya sana sa susunod maging standard na rin itong component para sa mga laptop! :D
Ako ay labis na naeexcite para sa future ng MSI! More power po sa inyo!

johnpaulolvega

• View Profile

Ito ay isang pambihirang katangian para sa isang gaming laptop, lubha itong makakatulong para mas maging masaya ang pag lalaro ng mga tumatangkilik ng MSI, hari nawa ay Mas pag butihin nyo pa!

Maraming salamat!

kenryanlee

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Madami po akong natutunan sa post na ito. Salamat po!

Kaesyri

• View Profile

Hey Admin,

Would like to ask if you could transfer over the Windows10 installation to the SSD? I am planning on buying an SSD upgrade for my GE70 but I don't know how to transfer the OS to it. Any tips?

Thanks

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Actually there are a lot ways cloning the drive. You may refer to this In my opinion this is easier. Aomei is for free also :)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:52:01 PM by MSI Notebook Administrator »

Kaesyri

• View Profile

Thanks, I'll give it a go :)

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Happy Cloning :)

Kaesyri

• View Profile

I don't suppose this allows you to choose to clone just the OS, right?

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Ohhh. Good Question. Actually we did an actual test via hard drive going to the SSD. But Cloning files to a let's say an external hard drive that might be possible but we can have our own testing :)

Kaesyri

• View Profile

Hey Admin,

Since we're already here I might as well ask, I've been told about SATA and M2 versions of SSD. Will I have any issues with this? Which should I pick, what do you recommend for my GE70 Apache Pro.

Thanks!

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Hmmm. I need your exact model for confirmation. To get the right information is to check underneath the laptop  that says GE60 2xx - xxxxPH. Just sensor out the serial number for confidentiality. 

roroyasolong

• View Profile

very useful instruction !
wish I had a techgeek friend like you sir

Kaesyri

• View Profile

Hi Admin,

Model number is MS-1759, that's the only sticker underneath that says "Model"

This is an MSI GE70 Apache Pro, bought this around 2-3 years ago.

• Administrator
    • View Profile

My apologies for the late reply. 

For that particular model you may need a Caddy to place it on your ODD if you don't plan using your ODD. We will post a guide on how to upgrade. Stay Glued to your forum :)
Pages: [1] 2